Cushing City Council Minutes
November 6, 2018
Cushing City Hall – 200 Main St.
The regular meeting of the Cushing City Council was called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Mayor Don Joy Jr.
Council members present: Ray Endrulat, Shawn Joy, Dustin Schlenger. Absent: Jim Porter, Ben Rabbass
Also present: Lt. Charles Hertz, Brooke Sievers, and City Clerk Nicole Huisinga
Motion by Joy, seconded by Schlenger to approve consent agenda which includes:
1) Meeting agenda
2) October 2, 2018 Minutes
3) Financial Statement & Budget Report
4) Claims as Presented
5) Building Permits – Joel Tyler, Brennan Hoaglund
ACCO Liquid Chlorine 871.90
AT&T Firemen Cell 46.21
Barnes & Noble Library Books 152.66
Barry Motor Co. Ambulance Repair 999.91
Boerner & Goldsmith Legal Fees 306.67
CBC City Hall Maintenance 516.42
Corner Hardware City Supplies 62.81
Don’s Pest Control Fire Station Treatment 43.00
Elaine Droegmiller Library supplies/mileage to meeting 58.55
Nicole Huisinga Mileage to lawyer/city hall supplies 60.23
IA League of Cities Budget Wksp 45.00
ISG Eng./Operator Services 1754.79
Don Joy Jr. Toilet/Vanity for city hall 178.69
LP Gill 2nd Qtr. Landfill Fee 1047.20
MCI Telephone 28.57
Met Water Testing 39.00
Mid America Publishing Help Wanted Ad 14.20
Mid-American Electricity 691.61
MPLC Library Movie License 135.00
New Coop Fire-fuel 225.22
PCC Ambulance Billing 66.12
Quality Pump & Control Annual Pump Service 460.00
The Record Publishing 107.50
Rehab Systems Vac Lift Station 550.00
Rick’s Computer Vipre Subscription 104.30
Schaller Telephone Phone Service 54.45
Stevenson Hardware batteries 6.99
Terry Clarkson Excavating Burial 300.00
USPS Stamps 100.00
Jerry Wittrock Fuel reimbursement 100.00
Revenues by Fund:
Road Use 1389.18
Water Fund 2882.98
Sewer Fund 1724.75
Solid Waste Fund 1956.25
Fire Fund 0.00
Total Revenue: 27,657.12
Sheriff’s Report. Lt. Hertz reported deputies conducted 23hours of Directed Patrols and responded to 3 calls.
City Maintenance. Council discussed the resignation of Jerry Wittrock, and replacement options. No decision was made.
Motion made by Endrulat to approve Reports as given. Seconded by Joy. Motion carried 3/0.
• Library Roof Repair. Mayor Joy will work on getting Wiese Construction to look at roof and give an estimate.
• ISG. Brooke Sievers gave an update on the project. Everything going great
Section 1 & 2: Pay Request #1. Motion made by Joy to approve the $18,354 & $11,200 payments. Seconded by Endrulat. Motion passed 3/0
• Fire Dept Liquor License. Motion made by Schlenger to approve the license request. Seconded by Endrulat. Motion passed 3/0.
• Building Permit Expired. Upon further review, the building permit is not expired. Council did discuss the structure being built does not match what was approved in the building permit. Clerk has been instructed to send a letter to the resident.
• Rehab Systems. Council discussed the need for televising/cleaning pipes. Clerk is instructed to find out if they would still come out in the colder weather.
• Comprehensive Plan. Clerk shared some dates given to us by Simmering-Cory to have a community meeting to get some input from the public. The date chosen is November 26, 2018 from 5:30-6:30 p.m.
• Computer Upgrade. The clerk expressed concern with being short on memory once the new water meter program is installed. Council discussed the new computer estimates sent by Rick’s Computers. Clerk is instructed to get whichever computer will best fit the city’s needs.
Ordinances — Ordinance 30:
An Ordinance Amending the Code of Ordinances of the City of Cushing, IA by Amending the Residential Dwelling Standards 150.12 (A)
A “Dwelling” is any building used as a living quarters for one or more families, not including motels, hotels, or motor homes.
1. Recreational vehicles parked or stored on a premise or any lot shall not be used for permanent human occupancy. Recreational vehicles shall only allow human habitation for not more than 14 days in a calendar year.
Motion made to approve first reading by Joy, seconded by Schlenger. Passed 3/0. Motion made to waive second reading by Endrulat, seconded by Schlenger. Passed 3/0. Motion made to waive third reading by Schlenger, seconded by Joy. Passed 3/0.
Next regular meeting has been set for Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 6:30 p.m.
With no further business, motion by Endrulat, seconded by Schlenger to adjourn at 8:10 p.m.
Mayor Don Joy, Jr.
Attested by: City Clerk Nicole Huisinga
Published in The Record
Thursday, November 22, 2018