Cushing City Council Minutes
May 7, 2019
Cushing City Hall – 200 Main St.
The regular meeting of the Cushing City Council was called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Mayor Don Joy Jr.
Council members present: Alex Rabbass, Shawn Joy, Jim Porter. Absent: Ray Endrulat, Dustin Schlenger.
Also present: Lt. Charles Hertz, Brooke Sievers, Deb Clark, Pat Rogers, Dave Carstens, and Bob Bendixen
Motion by Joy, seconded by Rabbass to approve consent agenda which includes:
1) Meeting agenda
2) April 2, 2019 Minutes
3) Financial Statement & Budget Report
4) Claims as Presented
5) Building Permits – none
Anfinson Farm Store Grass Seed 129.45
AT&T Firemen Cell 46.10
Barry Motor Company Fire Truck Maint. 611.90
ClerkBooks 5 hr. Support Package 400.00
Danko Fire Truck Maintenance 994.16
Don’s Pest Control Fire Station Treatment 44.00
Elaine Droegmiller Library-Books/Storytime Supplies 98.08
EMC Insurance Insurance Premium 18,343.00
Feld Fire fire truck maintenance 59.80
Mike Frahm Mowing Payment #1 787.50
Nicole Huisinga Supplies 51.21
ISG Eng./Operator Services 3,947.92
Sewer Facility Plans 997.50
Jacobs Electric Lift Station Repair 458.41
Joy Auto City/Fire 226.76
LP Gill 4th Qtr. Landfill 1,047.20
MCI Telephone 28.36
Met Water/Wastewater Test 96.00
Mid-American Electricity 935.70
New Coop Library/City/Fire 1,472.91
NW REC Standpipe Light 38.03
One Source City Printer Ink/Clips 88.58
PCC Ambulance Billing 155.33
The Record Publishing 151.63
Rehab Systems Vac/Televise Sewer Lines 2,636.70
Sanitary Services Qtrly Garbage Fee 4,061.25
SCE Water Project 37,524.47
Water Line Repair 1,292.74
Schaller Telephone Phone Service 53.99
Schmitt Construction Water Project 5,801.75
Terry Clarkson Excavating Burial/Water Line Repair 750.00
USPS stamps 110.00
Woodbury Co. EMS Ambulance Assist 1,000.00
Revenues by Fund
Road Use 843.49
Water Fund 112,168.31
Sewer Fund 1,695.00
Solid Waste Fund 3,014.09
Fire Fund 0.00
Total Revenue: 138,993.43
Sheriff’s Report. Lt. Hertz reported deputies conducted 30 hours of Directed Patrols and responded to 0 calls.
Library. The annual bake sale had a great turnout with a $653 profit. The director is working on the Summer Reading Program.
City Maintenance. The city, SCE, and ISG are working on water pressures with the new standpipe/well.
Motion made by Rabbass to approve Reports as given. Seconded by Porter. Motion carried 3/0.
• Library Roof Repair. Mayor Joy has been talking with a guy that does tuck pointing. We are waiting on some estimates from him. Dave Carstens has some plans to look at the roof once it has dried out from rain.
• ISG. Project nearing the end. Substantial completion to date. Final pay requests are coming in. Brooke Sievers discussed how to modify standpipe to stop overflow while high amounts of water being run through. 3 options were given: do nothing, well timer, or radio read measuring at standpipe. Council will need to decide for June meeting. Also, Sievers reported that $45,000 of the project loan is forgivable.
* Section 1: Pay Request #7
Motion made by Joy to approve the payment. Seconded by Rabbass. Motion passed 3/0
* Section 2: Pay Request #5 and #6
Motion made by Porter to approve the payment. Seconded by Rabbass. Motion passed 3/0
• EGR Insurance. Deb Clark and Pat Rogers presented the insurance fees for the city.
• Old City Pickup. Council discussed taking out parts that could be useful, and scrapping the remainder.
• Set Public Hearing for Budget Amendment. Clerk discussed the options, and council chose June 4th for the hearing.
• Water & Sewer Rate Increase. Clerk presented the increases that had taken place since 2006. The most recent raises were 2016 for water, and 2012 for sewer. Council instructed clerk on rates and to draft an ordinance for review next meeting.
A Resolution to set the date for a public hearing for the
budget amendment #1 FY2019 on June 4, 2019.
Motion made by Joy, seconded by Porter. Motion passed 3/0.
Next regular meeting has been set for Tuesday, June 4, 2019, time to be determined.
With no further business, motion by Joy, seconded by Rabbass to adjourn at 8:35 p.m.
Mayor Don Joy, Jr.
City Clerk Nicole Huisinga
Published in The Record
Thursday, May 23, 2019