Woodbury Central Community School
Regular Board Meeting –
May 13, 2019
The Woodbury Central School Board met in regular session in the school library on May 13, 2019 with President Frafjord calling the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.
Visitors: Linda Fetterman, Bonnie Clark, Cherie Dandurand, Missie Lenz, Jeff Locke, Michelle Lux, Kelly Weaver, Pat Hofstatter, Tyler Bremer, Faith Lambert, Denise Heiman, Stephanie Destigter, Stacey Reblitz, Kent Baker.
Members Present: Frafjord, Koele, Nelson, Thomsen, Kluender, Lamp, Reblitz. Absent: none.
Moved by Reblitz, second by Lamp to approve the agenda as amended. Motion carried, all voting aye.
Moved by Thomsen, second by Lamp to waive the reading of the minutes from April 8, 2019 and approved them as written. Motion carried, all voting aye.
Moved by Nelson, second by Lamp to approve payments from the General Fund for $116,599.70, the PPEL Fund for $3,763.08, the Sales Tax Fund for $35,389.63, the Activity Fund for $2,680.20 and the Nutrition Fund for $18,287.86 and prepaid checks from the General Fund for $35,401.58, the PPEL Fund for $5,767.20, the Sales Tax Fund for $22,115.60, the Activity Fund for $23,913.92, and the Lunch Fund for $17,558.53. Motion carried, all voting aye.
Instructional Support Levy – The President of the Board, Gary Frafjord, — I call up for consideration the Resolution to Consider Continued Participation in the Instructional Support Program which requires that a public hearing be held on this proposal. Director Reblitz introduced the following Resolution and moved its adoption. Director Thomsen seconded the motion to adopt. The roll was called and the vote was: AYES – ALL; NAYS – NONE.
The President declared the Resolution adopted as follows:
TO CONSIDER CONTINUED PARTICIPATION IN THE
INSTRUCTIONAL SUPPORT PROGRAM
• WHEREAS, the Board of Directors has approved a five (5) year finance plan, which anticipates the level of funding that will be possible to continue the current level of services and to fund the ongoing programs of the School District; and
• WHEREAS, the Board of Directors wishes to consider continued participation in the Instructional Support Program as provided in Iowa Code sections 257.18 through 257.27; and
• WHEREAS, the authorization for the Instructional Support Program will expire on June 30, 2020; and
• WHEREAS, this resolution sets forth the proposal of the Board of Directors, including the method that will be used to fund the program; and
WHEREAS, notice of the time and place of a public hearing must be published:
NOW, THEREFORE, it is resolved:
• (1.) The Board of Directors wishes to consider continued participation in the Instructional Support Program as provided in Iowa Code sections 257.18 through 257.27, for a period of five (5) years, commencing the fiscal year ending June 30, 2021.
• (2.) The additional funding for the Instructional Support Program for a budget year shall be determined annually, and shall not exceed ten percent (10%) of the total regular program district cost for the budget year and moneys received under Iowa Code section 257.14 as a budget adjustment for the budget year.
• (3.) Moneys received by the District for the Instructional Support Program may be used: 1. Updating all curriculum and provide in-service for staff, 2. Purchasing and installing technological equipment, 3. Remodeling, and such other purposes permitted under the general fund which the Board of Directors may elect.
• (4.) The Instructional Support Program shall be funded by a combination of instructional support property tax levied annually upon the taxable property within the School District commencing with the levy of property taxes for collection in the fiscal year ending June 30, 2021, and instructional support income surtax imposed annually, the percent of income surtax to be determined by the Board for each budget year to be imposed upon the state individual income tax of each individual income taxpayer resident in the School District on December 31, 2020, and each year thereafter.
• (5.) The Secretary is authorized and directed to give notice of a public hearing to be held in the School Library, Woodbury Central Community School District, Moville, Iowa on June 10, 2019 at 7:30 p.m.
• (6.) Following the public hearing the Board intends to take action on the question whether to consider continued participation in the Instructional Support Program.
Passed and approved this 13th day of May, 2019
• Mrs. Lambert – Report
• Mrs. Gilbert – report
• Mr. Bormann – report
• Mr. Glackin – report
Building, Grounds, & Transportation
• Moved by Reblitz, second by Lamp to authorize Cannon, Moss & Brygger to release projects for bid. Motion carried all voting aye.
• Moved by Lamp, second by Reblitz to send the Morton Building plans to the Fire Marshall for approval. Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Moved by Reblitz, second by Kluender for the board to pursue a Voted Physical, Plant and Equipment Levy and to form a committee for this endeavor. Motion carried, 6 members voting aye and Director Nelson voting nay.
• Moved by Lamp, second by Nelson to approve lane changes for Michelle Lux to go to BA+30 and Katherine Vondrak to go to MA. Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Moved by Kluender, second by Thomsen to accept the resignations of Trevor Alfredson-BB Coach, Bryan Alfredson-Asst. BB Coach, Cheri Dandurand-Asst. VB Coach, Kati Steffen-Asst. BB Coach, Jaycie Stratton-MS Volleyball, Marcy Clark-Math teacher, Gloria Koele-kitchen, and Deb Pueppke-kitchen. Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Moved by Lamp, second by Thomsen to approve using the negotiated bases and adding $500 per year of experience, up to 8 years on new hires and approving the teaching contracts for Kati Steffen-MS Science at BA-4yrs exp, Benjamin Cotter-Elem. at BA-0 yrs exp., Morgan Mehrer-Elem at BA-2yrs exp, and Melissa Wulf-school nurse with BA at $24.75 per hour, 8hrs per day for 185 days plus $298.82 for driver testing and $568 for Medicaid coordinator . Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Moved by Lamp, second by Nelson to approve the coaching contracts for 19-20 school year for Kati Steffen – Head VB, Josh Wilkerson-Head Boys BB, Brittney Gernhart-Cheer, and Dan Bormann-Cross Country. Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Moved by Lamp, second by Thomsen to approve the extended year contract for Kelsey Sands at 1/9th of regular contract. Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Moved by Thomsen, second by Koele to approve the following AJ Baugous Scholarship recipients: Miah Manker, Emma Persons, Sidnie Graff, and Sidney Steffen.
• Moved by Lamp, second by Nelson to approve the following grant writers: Doug Glackin for AG Grant and Kelly McElrath for class project. Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Moved by Moved by Reblitz, second by Lamp to approve not making up June 3, 2019 as a school day for students. Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Moved by Lamp, second by Kluender to approve the
Resolution to transfer $12,592.99 from the General Fund to the Activity Fund
as allowed per Iowa House File 564 for the expenditures for safety gear,
including but not limited to football helmets, catchers face masks, and catchers pads as required for competition.
Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Moved by Reblitz, second by Lamp to set a hearing and publish the following:
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING by the
Woodbury Central Community School.
Pursuant to Chapters 21 and 298A Code of Iowa, NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that a public hearing will be held by Woodbury Central School at 7:30 pm on June 10, 2019 at the High School Library at WC School. This hearing is on a resolution to expend funds from district’s Flexibility Account for the anticipated deficit in the Talented & Gifted Funds for the 2019-20 school year. These funds, in the amount of $20,000, were unexpended and unobligated from teacher professional development for the development of core curriculum. All persons interested are invited to attend this hearing and be heard. Written comments may be submitted to Christen Howrey, Board Secretary on or before June 10th, 2019 at 4:00 p.m.
Published on order of the Woodbury Central School Board of Directors.
• Moved by Reblitz, second by Lamp to approve that the Fitness Center fees remain the same for 2019-20. Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Moved by Thomsen, second by Koele to award the 3 year audit contract to Nolte, Cornman, & Johnson for $8500 for 2019, $8900 for 2020, and $9300 for 2021 fiscal years. Motion carried, all voting aye
• Moved by Lamp, second by Thomsen to approve the list of 2019 graduates as presented by Dan Bormann. Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Moved by Kluender, second by Nelson, to approve the fees for online transactions with JMC at 3.99% for Credit Cards and 1.99 % for ACH. Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Moved by Lamp, second by Thomsen to approve the Fine Arts Trip to New York. Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Visitor/community comments: Kelly Weaver – concerns regarding food service utensils, bus repair records, roof leaks, and Voted PPEL.
• For the Good of the Cause – Howrey – no resignation approved for HS Cheer; board will let the new contract stand. Reblitz asked about procedure for Coach/Player issues. Kluender – wheelchair lift question.
Adjourn: Moved by Kluender, second by Thomsen to adjourn. Motion carried, all voting aye. Board adjourned at 9:20 p.m.
Christen Howrey, Secretary
Gary Frafjord, President
Published in The Record
Thursday, May 23, 2019