Correctionville City Council Minutes — January 13, 2020
Correctionville City Council
Regular City Council Meeting
January 13, 2020
CALL TO ORDER: The Correctionville City Council met in Regular session on January 13, 2020, at the Correctionville City Hall. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM by Mayor Nathan Heilman.
ROLL CALL: Council members answering roll: Bob Beazley, Sonya Kostan, Adam Petty, Ron Sanderson, and Dan Volkert. Absent: None. City Attorney was represented by Chad Thompson.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA: Motion by Sanderson, 2nd by Volkert to approve the agenda. Passed 5/0.
CONSENT AGENDA: Motion by Sanderson, 2nd by Kostan to approve the minutes of the December 9, 2019 regular meeting, January 6, 2020, special meeting, bills as listed. Reports as filed. Approval of liquor licenses for Brew, Casey’s General Store, Dollar General and Liz’s Food & Spirits pending all paperwork is filed correctly. Passed 5/0.
PUBLIC FORUM – CITIZEN INPUT: None
1. Motion by Sanderson, 2nd by Volkert to adopt
appointing Carla Mathers as City Clerk; Chad and Barry Thompson as City Attorneys;
Adam Petty as Mayor Pro-Tem; and The Moville Record as the Official Newspaper, all for 2020.
Roll Call: Passed 5/0.
2. Motion by Sanderson, 2nd by Beazley to adopt
appointing the following committees: Budget – Mayor & Council; Annual Employee Evaluations – Heilman, Petty; Water Department – Beazley; Finance Department – Kostan; Sanitation Department – Kostan; Streets, Alleys & Sidewalks – Sanderson, Volkert; Economic Development – Heilman, Sanderson; Parks, Recreation & Cemetery – Beazley, Petty.
3. Deputy Hertz reviewed the Sheriff’s monthly report.
4. Keith Radig, representing Woodbury County Board of Supervisors, and Dennis Butler, Woodbury County Financial Director, addressed the council concerning the need for a new law enforcement center in Woodbury County. Radig asked the mayor and council to each sign a letter of support for this project.
5. Maintenance report: Pat Langschwager reported that there were three sewer force main breaks in the last month. These breaks were repaired immediately. Mayor instructed maintenance department to work on cleaning up the drainage ditch going south from 1st Street to Bacon Creek.
6. Fire and rescue report – Jeff Wortman, Fire Chief, gave fire department report; one truck is needing repairs. Kara Pernick gave ambulance report; state inspection is Wednesday, January 15, 2020; department has two members attending EMT classes and another renewing nurse license for EMT.
7. Dave Christensen: No report given. Council discussed finishing sidewalk projects in the spring. City clerk will contact Christensen about attending the council meeting February 10, 2020.
8. Council discussed the sale of property. The council will address this again at the next regular meeting.
9. Council looked at quotes to install cameras for city properties. Motion by Beazley, 2nd by Sanderson to accept the bid from Midwest Alarm. Passed 4/0, Petty abstained from voting.
10. Mayor Heilman and councilman Petty attended River Valley School Board meeting to discuss renewal of lease with the school district for the property currently being used for tennis/basketball courts and playground that is expiring in December of 2024. School board did not act on renewal of lease at this time.
11. Motion by Sanderson, 2nd by Volkert giving Mayor and Clerk permission to sign Preconstruction Agreement (2020-6-059) with Iowa DOT for Primary Road Project. Passed 5/0.
12. Motion by Petty, 2nd by Beazley to adopt
Resolution 2020-04 setting public hearing for the Proposed Property Tax Levy FY 2020/21
to be held February 10, 2020, at 7:00 p.m., Council Chambers, 312 Driftwood Street, Correctionville, Iowa
Roll Call. Passed 5/0.
With no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:50 p.m.
CARLA MATHERS, CMC,
Road Use Tax
TIF Nelle Belle
Fire Dept. Fund
Vendor/ Description Amount
Ipers IPERS $2,907.09
Department of Treasury Federal $4,151.95
Iowa Dept. of Revenue 4th Quarter 2019 $1,779.00
Iowa Dept. of Revenue Sales tax $342.00
Iowa Dept of Revenue WET tax $1,280.00
Triple C Pest Control Mosquito control $3,230.00
Verizon Wireless Phone $52.33
United Healthcare Health Ins. $5,573.98
Midamerican Electricity $2,854.27
Ron Gray Deposit refund $27.68
Iowa Prison Industries Signs $508.59
Gordon Flesch Company Copier $2,993.00
Brown Supply Co. Shovel $84.00
Cedcorp, Inc. Housing incentive $5,000.00
City Clerk-Ambulance Meals Meals $10.41
Clerk of District Court Nuisance $85.00
Colonial Research Supplies $105.20
Corner Hardware Supplies $41.39
Correctionville Bldg. Center Supplies $17.50
Foundation Analytical Water testing $28.75
Iowa One Call Locates $26.10
Iowa Park & Recreation Assoc. CEU workshop (2) $310.00
Joy Auto Supply Inc. Maintenance $397.03
L.P. Gill, Inc. 3rd Qtr. 19/20 $3,985.96
Longlines Phone $199.39
Mckesson Medical Supplies $1,878.45
Mercy Medical Services Medical $35.02
Swank Movie Licensing USA Movie license $175.00
Netsys Support $116.00
New Cooperative, Inc. Fuel $1,941.89
North American Truck & Trailer Repairs $183.43
NW Iowa League of Cities Dues $25.00
Office Elements Supplies $48.00
Pinnacle Performance LLC Repairs $225.40
Ruralwaves Wireless Internet Internet Service $239.94
Sanitary Services Garbage $14,028.80
SCE, LLC Force main repair $4,347.88
Secretary of State Notary application $30.00
Sioux Valley Automotive Repairs $845.23
Moville Record Publishing $134.99
Toyne Inc. Parts $54.60
Verizon Wireless Phones $52.19
Vicki Knaack Supplies $21.98
Visa Supplies $732.57
Western Iowa Equipment Mower repair $102.94
Woodbury County Election $480.68
Woodbury County EMS Ambulance $200.00
Published in The Record
Thursday, January 23, 2020