Cushing City Council Minutes
January 7, 2020
Cushing City Hall – 200 Main St.
The regular meeting of the Cushing City Council was called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Mayor Don Joy Jr.
Council members present: Alex Rabbass, Shawn Joy, Bob O’Connell. Absent: Jesse VanHouten. Also present: Lt. Hertz
Motion by Joy, seconded by Rabbass to approve consent agenda which includes:
1) Meeting agenda
2) December 4, 2019 Minutes
3) Financial Statement & Budget Report
4) Claims as Presented
5) Building Permits – none
AT&T Firemen Cell 62.88
Book Systems Inc. Library Atrium Annual Subs 795.00
Dave Carstens Mileage from city errands 172.80
CBC Roof Repair Supplies 73.63
Don’s Pest Control Fire Dept. Treatment 44.00
Elaine Droegmiller Library supplies reimbursement 26.68
Feld Fire Fire Extinguisher Recharge 50.60
Nicole Huisinga Mileage/City Supplies 109.26
Iowa Good Roads Dues FY20 95.00
Iowa Library Assoc. Dues FY20 35.00
ISG Operator Services/Eng. Fees 6239.50
Jacob’s Electric Fire/City Repairs 1853.14
Joy Auto Parts City Truck Supplies 150.45
LP Gill Inc. 3rd Qtr. Landfill Fees 1068.10
MCI Telephone 31.12
Menards City/Shed Supplies 140.15
MET Water Testing 97.00
Mid-American Electricity 968.07
New Cooperative Fire/City Fuel 243.12
NW REC Standpipe Light 129.78
One Source Office Supplies 196.24
Rick’s Computers Office Student & Home Pkg. 149.00
Sanitary Services Qtrly Payment Garbage Service 4061.25
Schaller Telephone Phone Service 54.08
Sioux City Journal Publishing 12.78
Terry Clarkson Excavating Burial 400.00
USA Bluebook City Water Supplies 214.81
USPS Stamps/Postage 220.00
Woodbury Co. EMS November Paramedic Assists 600.00
Revenues by Fund:
Road Use 1228.25
Water Fund 3408.70
Sewer Fund 2088.00
Solid Waste Fund 1991.75
Fire Fund 0.00
Total Revenue: 20,826.27
Sheriff’s Report: Lt. Hertz reported that Deputies responded to 1 call in Cushing last month.
Library Report: Report given.
Clerk Report: Report given.
City Maintenance: The generator needs a tune up, so it’s ready when needed. Council will get it to Shevers Repair to get it worked on.
E911/Landfill Board: No report given.
Old 20 CDC: No report given.
Committees & Appointments: Resignation from Councilman Ray Endrulat was accepted.
Mayor Pro-Tem: Motion made by O’Connell to appoint Shawn Joy as mayor pro-tem. Seconded by Rabbass. Motion passed 3/0.
Clerk: Motion made by O’Connell to appoint Nicole Huisinga as city clerk. Seconded by Joy.
Newspaper: Motion made by Joy to appoint The Record as the official newspaper. Seconded by Rabbass.
Remaining committee appointments tabled until next month, or when the entire council is present.
Motion made by Rabbass to approve Reports as given. Seconded by Joy. Motion carried 3/0.
• Humane Society Stray Animal Contract. Motion made by Joy to approve contract, seconded by O’Connell. Motion passed 3/0
• Mosquito Spraying. Motion made by Joy to approve contract with Triple C Pest Control at the pre-pay price, seconded by O’Connell. Motion passed 3/0
• Set Date for Public Hearing. Motion made by Joy to hold public hearing to set the tax levy for FY20-21 on February 4, 2020 at 6:30 p.m. Seconded by Rabbass. Motion passed 3/0
• Set Wages for FY20-21. Council discussed and decided to go with a 3% wage increase. Clerk will prepare figures and have at next meeting for council to approve.
• Street Parking. Council brought up a few residents that continue to park on the streets. Clerk will look into an ordinance, or see if it will be in our code update we’re working on.
Motion made by Rabbass to
Set Public Hearing to Set the Tax Levy Maximum
for FY20-21 on February 4, 2020 at 6:30 p.m.
Seconded by Joy. Motion passed 3/0.
Next regular meeting has been set for Tuesday, February 4, at 6:30 p.m.
With no further business, there was a motion by Rabbass, seconded by Joy to adjourn at 8:04 p.m.
Mayor Don Joy, Jr.
City Clerk Nicole Huisinga
Published in The Record
Thursday, January 23, 2020