Woodbury Central School Board
Regular Board Meeting — February 10, 2020
The Woodbury Central School Board met in regular session on February 10, 2020 with President Frafjord calling the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.
Visitors: Marvy Frafjord, Michelle Powell, Faith Lambert, Bonnie Clark, Jenny Tschirren, Denise Heiman. Members Present: Frafjord, Nelson, Koele, Thomsen, Reblitz, Lloyd, Steffen. Absent: none.
Agenda: Moved by Reblitz, second by Thomsen to approve the agenda as amended. Motion carried, all voting aye.
Minutes: Moved by Steffen, second by Koele to waive the reading of the minutes for January 13 and 22, 2020 and approve them as written. Motion carried, all voting aye.
Bills: Moved by Thomsen, second by Nelson to approve the payment of bills from the General Fund for $101,736.50, the PPEL Fund for $2,926.47, the Management Fund for $53.00, the Sales Tax Fund for $599.00, the Activity Fund for $8,143.65, the Lunch Fund for $14,327.54 and prepaid checks from the General Fund for $24,318.62, the Activity Fund for $18,304.60, and the Lunch for $94.78. Motion carried, all voting aye.
Hearing: Frafjord opened the hearing on the calendar at 7:32 pm.
• Mr. Glackin presented survey results and two proposed calendars.
• Discussion on start day and early outs
• Frafjord closed the hearing on the calendar at 7:41 pm.
• Moved by Lloyd, second by Reblitz to approve the Tuesday, Aug. 25th start calendar with added early out on Friday, Aug. 28 for a total of 1,146 hours of instruction. Motion carried, all voting aye.
Focus on Education: Mr. Glackin showed the School Report Card data on the state website.
Reports: Gilbert – Report, Bormann – report, Glackin – Report
Policies & Procedures
• Moved by Thomsen, second by Reblitz to approve the open enroll request by Ben and Paige Groth (K-P) for Finleigh (1st) to attend WC. Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Moved Reblitz, second by Thomsen to offer the early retirement policy this year to 2 employees with a change from 10 years in the district to 20. Motion not passed. Roll call vote taken – Nelson-no, Steffen-no, Koele-no, Reblitz-yes, Thomsen-yes, Lloyd-yes, Frafjord-no.
• Lloyd made a suggestion to have the policy committee review the early retirement policies.
• Moved by Nelson, second by Lloyd to accept the resignations of Jill Rapp from the Leadership Team and Jill Stratton from Football Cheer Sponsor position at the end of this school year provided suitable replacements can be found. Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Moved by Thomsen, second by Koele to approve Kim Mendenhall Drivers Ed Class/driving instructor and Ron Zahourek and Bob Doenhofer as driving instructors. Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Moved by Nelson, second by Reblitz to pay speech assistant $1400 per season due to high participation. Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Moved by Reblitz, second by Thomsen to approve the sharing agreements with Kingsley-Pierson for Cross Country, Track, Industrial Tech, Elem. Guidance, Head Custodian, Transp. Director, and Curriculum Dir., with Lawton for Family & Consumer Science, with Akron-Westfield for Human Resources and with WITCC for College courses. Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Moved by Nelson, second by Koele to table until the April 2020 meeting and review in the Policy Committee meeting to be scheduled, the paraeducator retirement request. Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Initial Budget discussion, presented by Mr. Glackin.
• Moved by Lloyd, second by Thomsen to keep the Drivers Ed fees the same as last year at $325 with $215 per student paid to instructors. Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Review of Roberts Rules of Order
• Moved Thomsen, second by Nelson to approve a 3-year renewal of the Timeclock Plus software. Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Moved by Nelson, second by Thomsen to renew the anti-virus software provided through Solis for one year. Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Moved by Thomsen, second by Lloyd to accept the audit report for 2019 as presented by Christen Howrey. Motion carried, all voting aye.
• Visitor Comments – Heiman – not enacting the early retirement and longevity pay for 20+ year teachers is not treating employees well. Insurance increases have meant teachers are taking home less money every year. Powell – are busses being locked? Is this going to be an issue if we put cameras in the busses?
• For the good of the cause – Lloyd – checked with Sioux City Schools regarding their bus camera system and reported what they thought of theirs. Reblitz – state reps he talked to about our upcoming PPEL vote would like to tour the school.
Adjourn: Moved by Lloyd, second by Thomsen to adjourn at 10:08. Motion carried, all voting aye.
Christen Howrey, Secretary
Gary Frafjord, Board President
FEBRUARY 2020 BOARD BILLS
ADVANTAGE ADMINISTRATORS 3RD PTY ADMIN 93.60
AHLERS & COONEY, P.C.
LEGAL SERVICES 1,059.38
LEGAL SERVICES 1,176.00
Vendor Total: 2,235.38
Akron Westfield Community School SHARED HR 8,193.61
BEKINS FIRE & SAFETY SERVICES
FIRST AID KITS/BRACKETS 837.96
Vendor Total: 894.66
Chartier, Tom DRIVER INSTRUCT-ION PROGRAMS 30.00
Document Depot & Destruction, Inc. SHREDDING 45.00
GOPHER SPORT FLOOR TAPE – P.E. 61.45
Hamman, Mackenzie CHAUFFEUR LICENSE 12.00
Howrey, Christen MILEAGE 96.28
ISTATE TRUCK CENTER OIL FILTERS 22.80
John Deere Financial REPAIR LAWN TRACTOR 108.54
KAJEET INC. SATELLITE INTERNET 2,122.26
KINGSLEY-PIERSON COMM SCHOOL
OPEN ENROLLMENT TUITION 10,104.00
OPEN ENROLLMENT 489.75
Vendor Total: 10,593.75
Kryger Glass Company GRAY VAN – WINDSHIELD 259.96
Matheson Tri-Gas, Inc. INSTRUCT-IONAL SUPPLIES 73.24
MID AMERICAN ENERGY
NATURAL GAS 328.45
NATURAL GAS 579.91
NATURAL GAS 67.97
Vendor Total: 9,945.98
Vendor Total: 3.74
Mid-West Tech WELDING CURTAIN 319.20
MidAmerica Books Library Books 913.94
MIDWEST TECHNOLOGY PRODUCTS PERKINS – WELDING SCREEN 319.20
MIDWEST TECHNOLOGY PRODUCTS PERKINS – WELDING BENCHES..2,612.50 Vendor Total: 2,931.70
MIDWEST WHEEL FUEL ADDITIVE 101.88
Morningside College POST SECONDARY CLASS 250.00
MOVILLE CHAMBER OF COMM-ERCE MEMBERSHIP 85.00
MOVILLE, CITY OF WATER & SEWER 649.42
Mpire Heating & Cooling, LLC
NO HEAT IN SHOP 85.00
LEAK in BOILER ROOM.. 85.00
PLUMBING REPAIR 249.00
Vendor Total: 776.00
NOLTE, CORNMAN & JOHNSON P.C. OTHER PROFESSIONAL 5,100.00
HEARING INTERPRETER 22,057.84
PARA CERT. CLASSES 480.00
FAWCETT – MANDT RECERT 35.00
NASA TRIP 2,425.00
Vendor Total: 25,265.50
OFFICE OF AUDITOR OF STATE AUDIT FILING FEE 425.00
PEPPER & SON, INC., J. W.
CHRISTMAS MUSIC 341.99
CHRISTMAS MUSIC 45.00
Vendor Total: 452.98
QUILL CORPORATION OFFICE SUPPLIES 229.83
RECORD, THE PUBLISHING 442.16
RECORD, THE ADVERTISING & PUBLISHING 278.57
Vendor Total: 720.73
Rolling Oil GASOLINE 4,092.65
SCHOOL BUS SALES SUPPLIES 70.92
SIOUX CITY COMMUNITY SCHOOL DIST.
OPEN ENROLL COLLEGE COURSES 347.44
SPEC. ED TUITION OUT 10,354.50
Vendor Total: 10,701.94
SIOUXLAND SCALE SERVICE, INC. MAINT 55.00
Stateline Electric & Automation EXTERIOR LIGHTS 1,090.24
THOMAS BUS SALES OF IOWA
19 – OIL FILTER/BRACKET 69.30
BATTERY CABLES 164.47
Vendor Total: 233.77
TIMBERLINE BILLING SERVICE MEDICAID BILLING 279.36
WESTERN IOWA TECH COMM. COLLEGE NEW DRIVER COURSE 100.00
WESTWOOD COMM. SCHOOLS
OPEN ENROLL – SPEC. ED TUITION 1,876.48
OPEN ENROLL – SPEC. ED TUITION 6,691.46
Vendor Total: 8,567.94
Whiting Community School
OPEN ENROLLMENT 163.25
Vendor Total: 3,531.25
Fund Total: 101,736.50
Checking Account Total: 101,736.50
PHYSICAL PLANT & EQUIPMENT
MARCO TECHNOLOGIES LLC COPIER LEASE 969.00
TITAN SCHOOL SOLUTIONS MENU SOFTWARE 1,957.47
Fund Total: 2,926.47
Checking Account Total: 2,926.47
EGR Insurance Inc. ADD 513 FAIR ST. TO POLICY 53.00
Fund Total: 53.00
Checking Account Total: 53.00
SALES TAX FUND
MID-BELL MUSIC PIANO DOLLY 599.00
Fund Total 599.00
Checking Account Total 599.00
ABERSON, JOSHUA JH BB OFFICIAL 80.00
ACE FUNDRAISING COACH CLINIC 100.00
Vendor Total: 1,216.20
Decker Sports BOYS BB BALLS 407.60
Iowa High School Speech Association
LG GRP V 318.00
LG GRP JV 75.00
Vendor Total: 393.00
LOCHIRCO FRUIT & PRODUCE FRUIT FUNDRAISER 2,250.62
Pocahontas Area High School WR. ENTRY FEE 100.00
Pucelik, Meghann REIMB. DANCE SUPPLIES 103.73
rSchoolToday ACTIVITY SCHED-ULER RENEWAL 407.50
Signs By Tomorrow MS WR. BANNER 240.00
STORM LAKE COMM. SCHOOL JV ENTRY FEE 100.00
Western Valley Conference
WVC 1-31 GATE BOYS 845.00
WVC 1-30 GATE GIRLS 725.00
WVC 2-3 GATE GIRLS 1,175.00
Vendor Total: 2,745.00
Fund Total: 8,143.65
Checking Account Total: 8,143.65
Vendor Total: 90.50
Vendor Total: 1,917.29
EARTHGRAINS CO., INC.
Vendor Total: 482.40
GREENBERG FRUIT CO.
Vendor Total: 1,787.09
CREDIT FOOD (207.52)
Vendor Total: 4,164.00
MARTIN BROS. DISTRIBUTING CO. INC.
GENERAL SUPPLIES 41.50
CREDIT FOOD (19.82)
GENERAL SUPPLIES 207.29
GENERAL SUPPLIES 210.88
GENERAL SUPPLIES 25.50
Vendor Total: 5,886.26
Fund Total: 14,327.54
Checking Account Total: 14,327.54
January 2020 Prepaid checks
AHLERS & COONEY, P.C. legal services 136.88
Akron Westfield Community School MATH CONF. REGISTRATIONS (2) 40.00
AMERICAN INSTITUTES FOR RESEARCH ESL TESTING 21.00
Center Point Energy Natural Gas 2,073.62
HOBART SALES AND SERVICE disposal replaced 1,802.50
ONE SOURCE Background Checks 121.50
PEARSON EDUCATION 1ST GRADE MATH 1,059.57
Petersen, Bart REIMBURSE FUEL FOR IMPALA 24.42
VERIZON WIRELESS Cell Phones 496.33
Fund Total: 5,775.82
Checking Account Total: 5,775.82
GRAETTINGER-TERRIL CSD WR ENTRY FEE 80.00
IHSAA COACHES STATE WR WRISTBANDS 400.00
Fund Total 480.00
Checking Account Total 480.00
JANUARY 2020 PREPAID
ABERSON, BERWYN JH BB OFFICIAL 80.00
Barringer, Dale BB OFFICIAL 105.00
BECKER, DENNIS OFFICIALS BB 105.00
BOUSEMA, HARLAN BB OFFICIAL JV TOURNEY 255.00
Davidson, George BB OFFICIAL 105.00
GOETTSCH, ERIC JV BB OFFICIAL 80.00
HARRIMAN, WADE JV OFFICIAL 230.00
JENNESS, LLOYD BB OFFICIAL 160.00
LUBBERS, CALEB JH OFFICIAL 80.00
Malsam, Jenni BB OFFICIAL 105.00
MAXFIELD, KEN BB OFFICIAL 80.00
MCPIKE, MILT BB OFFICIAL 80.00
PITTS, MATTHEW BB OFFICIAL JV TOURNEY 150.00
POLLOW, TAYLOR JH BB OFFICIAL 160.00
SLAUGHTER, JASON BB OFFICIAL 105.00
WAGNER, SCOTT BB OFFICIAL 105.00
WESSLING, DOUG BB OFFICIAL 105.00
Wetz, Mark BB OFFICIAL 105.00
Wilcox, John BB OFFICIAL 80.00
Zalme, Mark BB OFFICIAL JV TOURNEY 150.00
Fund Total: 2,785.00
Checking Account Total: 2,785.00
Published in The Record
Thursday, February 20, 2020